Tenure Track position in Classical Studies (Greek Language & Literature) Western University
Applications are invited for a probationary (tenure-track) position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin July 1, 2024. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated research interest in Greek language and literature. The successful applicant will participate in a department offering a full range of courses and programs in classical civilization, will propose and teach upper-level courses in their areas of expertise, and will share in the teaching of core courses in the undergraduate and graduate curricula. The successful candidate may also supervise theses and projects at all levels.
Competitive applicants will demonstrate a strong commitment to research, teaching, and service, as well as a solid background in the classical languages. Interest in teaching international destination courses is also desirable. Those who have interests in teaching topics of contemporary historical concern – for example, race, ethnic & religious identities, gender, sexuality, slavery, social justice, empire, colonialism, migration, and global connections – are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants should have the Ph.D. in hand or be in the final stages of its completion and have fluent written and oral communication skills in English.
Since 1878, The University of Western Ontario has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. With annual research funding exceeding $220 million, and an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
The Department of Classical Studies is a vibrant department of nine full-time faculty members, a mix of well-established members and dynamic younger scholars. We have a rigorous and systematic curriculum with unique features that distinguish it from those of peer departments, the depth and breadth of the experiences we offer to students, our collegial community, and the well-placed and generous support the University offers the Department. For more information about the Department and its programs, please visit: https://www.uwo.ca/classics//index.html
Application Materials Requested:
• Application for Full-Time Faculty Position Form, found here: https://www.uwo.ca/facultyrelations/pdf/Application-FullTime-Faculty-Position-Form.pdf
• A cover letter, curriculum vitae, letters from three referees, evidence of teaching experience (evaluations, syllabi, awards) and a sample of scholarly writing (of around 20 pages), in a single PDF, should be sent to Professor Kelly Olson, Chair, Department of Classical Studies, at [email protected].
• The position is subject to budgetary approval.
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
• The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
• Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact [email protected]
• The closing date for applications is November 15, 2023.
• We will be conducting initial interviews via Zoom in late November/early December.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.