Supervisor, Customer Service Supervisor, Customer Service
University of Utah
Department 00307 – Housing & Residential Educ Job Summary
Located in Salt Lake City, the University of Utah is a public, 4-year institution committed to providing an exceptional academic and co-curricular experience for students and the University community. The “U” is a PAC-12 institution with over 33,000 students. Housing & Residential Education houses over 4,500 residents and continues to grow, with new buildings planned in the Campus Master plan
Housing & Residential Education (HRE) and the University of Utah value interactions among individuals with varying traditions, cultures, identities, expressions, orientation, religious beliefs, economic backgrounds, and racial/ethnic origins. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who will share and explore this value with the team and with our residents.
Student Affairs is comprised of over 20 departments and is focused on supporting student well-being and success with the ultimate goal of assisting students in discovering their passion, people, and purpose. To that end, we aim to foster an environment that encourages employees to embrace innovative service delivery methods to best meet the needs of our students. As a result, students have the opportunity to participate in the creation of campus culture, collaboratively working alongside professional staff, student leaders, and academic partners.
Student Affairs is committed to the grounding of our programs, procedures, and policies in the tenets of anti-racism and inclusion. We recognize the continued importance of education and accountability that promote equity and social justice. Our expectation is that all employees are engaged in this work to create a welcoming environment that supports the success of both students and staff and ensures they have the opportunity to be fully incorporated into university life.
The Housing & Residential Education Front Desk and Mailroom Coordinator positions oversee the operations of our Resident Services desks located in one of the following areas: the Peterson Heritage Center (PHC), the Donna Garff Marriott Honors Residential Scholars Community (MHC) AND Lassonde Studios, or Kahlert Village (KV). Front Desk and Mailroom Coordinators are assigned a desk/mailroom to lead based on the needs of the department and the employee’s professional interests. The Front Desk and Mailroom Coordinator will provide guidance, leadership, and uphold efficient processes related to customer satisfaction in mail services, resource mapping, creating a sense of belonging, safety, and acting as a liaison for Housing and Residential Education. Additionally, responsibilities will include efforts in recruitment processes, effective staff training & professional development opportunities, staff scheduling, programming, management of collaborative efforts, developing and maintaining building-specific internal and external partnerships, assisting with the implementation of an office-wide co-curriculum, and assessment. The Front Desk and Mailroom Coordinator will report directly to the Assistant Director for Resident Services.
Supervision of Student Leaders Staff
This position would have direct supervision of Student Managers, Desk Assistants, and Mail Assistants for their area.
1. Select, hire and train student staff for area front desks. Follow all policies & procedures for hiring as directed by HRE’s Staffing Coordinator. Responsible for overseeing high quality recruitment, hiring, evaluation, and training of all staff, and for contributions to their personal and work-related development.
a. Provides a semesterly evaluation for all student leaders.
b. Follows up with all staff who have not met expectations of the position. Holds all staff accountable for following policies & procedures of the work place.
2. Provide staff development, recognition, direction and training through monthly desk and mailroom staff meetings, trainings, and any other meetings as seen fit.
3. Develop, implement, and update work standards and practices manuals for Student Managers and staff.
4. Makes annual policy and procedure updates to ensure accurate records of current processes.
5. Create a smooth transition of services and staffing during academic year breaks, with emphasis on serving Conference Services guests during the Summer Term.
6. Ensures customer satisfaction by analyzing customer complaints, concerns and suggestions. Provides appropriate follow-through to ensure quality customer service. Implements and administers new and existing department programs and services to internal and external customers.
7. Evaluates operations’ effectiveness.
Desk & Mailroom Operations
The Front Desk and Mailroom Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the front desks and mailrooms are serving the needs of residents and patrons of each building.
1. Regularly assess the condition of the mailroom and desk areas and help schedule regular maintenance and upkeep of the building.
2. Evaluate desk services and supplies and ensure what is needed for resident and guest use.
3. Develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, partners, and administration in order to collaborate on initiatives that impact HRE as well as utilize the full potential of campus resources available on the university campus.
4. Maintain efficient systems for resident services, including usage of shared spaces, lost and found processes, and lock out support.
5. Work closely with mail carriers (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.) to ensure that mail is delivered in a timely and accurate manner. Follow up on package and mailroom issues.
Associate degree in a business-related field or equivalency; two years full-time customer service; supervisory experience or equivalency; and demonstrated effective human relations and communication skills required.
Bachelor’s degree in a business related field and cash handling experience preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
1. Ability to work effectively in a diverse, fast-paced environment.
2. Ability to manage several projects at once, keep projects moving forward, and take the initiative to fulfill job duties beyond a basic understanding of individual tasks.
3. Ability to work independently and work well on a team.
4. Proficient user of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel, as well as comfort with learning new computer software.
5. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across functional and positional lines.
6. Demonstrated interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
1. Previous supervision experience.
2. Knowledge of and experience within Student Affairs, particularly with customer service or front desk operations.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: [email protected] or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this posting.