Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations
University of British Columbia
Staff – Union
CUPE 2950 Salaried – Sr Program Asst-Med Ed (Gr8)
Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations
Education Programs Administration Department of Surgery Faculty of Medicine
$4,601.00 – $4,953.00 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
October 18, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
This position is located within a health-care facility, therefore, the successful candidate will be required to provide verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by a provincial health mandate.
Job Description Summary
The Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations provides complex coordination of the Department of Surgery s Postgraduate Surgical Foundations Residency Program. The incumbent supports the Surgical Foundations Residency Program, which is a two year foundational program for all surgical specialty residents in preparation for the mandatory Royal College exam. The incumbent provides support for the implementation of Competence by Design (CBD) and the new Canadian Accreditation Management System (CanAMS) for Surgical Foundations. This program support the Department s advancement of surgical teaching, research, and scholarship and health care services regionally nationally and internationally.
The UBC Faculty of Medicine Department of Surgery educates students at the undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels, and pursues research to make innovative advancements in knowledge and practice to improve health. The Department consists of more than 600 physicians, surgeons, scientists and educators and over 70 administrative, research and technical staff in nine divisions distributed across British Columbia. Specialty training programs are offered in Cardiac Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Otolaryngology, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Thoracic Surgery and Vascular Surgery. The Department is also home to the Branch for Global Surgical Care (BGSC).
The Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations reports directly to the Education Program Manager and also receives direction from the Surgical Foundations Program Director and from the Department s Postgraduate Program Directors, as well as the Director of Administration. The incumbent collaborates with other University staff and faculty members, and interacts with members of health organizations in UBC, to support the Department s Education activities.
Surgical Foundations Education
– Coordinates the Surgical Foundations PGY1 Resident orientation day;
– Plans and organizes weekly Surgical Foundations seminars;
– Maintains information included in resident quarterly report cards which includes exams, attendance and courses, distributes the report cards to the residents home Program Director;
– Ensures evaluations are completed on time and submitted as appropriate;
– Prepares and compiles reports from electronic evaluation platforms (one45, Entrada) for use by Competency Committees, PGME and RCPSC/CCFP (if applicable);
– Coordinates the rotation scheduling of Resident Learners;
– Organizes the Mini-CRASH training where PGY1 residents rotate through trauma simulations, assists with faculty recruitment, schedules rooms, orders supplies and arranges catering;
– Coordinates the organization of the CRASH courses (a four week block of didactic teaching and technical skills sessions) and updates curriculum changes as requested by the Manager or Program Director, assists in the recruitment of faculty, schedules rooms and arranges catering;
– Schedules faculty for academic sessions and exams;
– Updates and uploads any changes or additions of academic material/resource materials as requested with information provided by the Program Manager or Program Director such as on-line texts, PowerPoint presentations and relevant handouts to Entrada, online learning platform;
– Circulates Resident Education Committee agendas to Committee members, records, transcribes and circulates minutes, arranges catering;
– Maintains and updates surgery resident email lists;
Competency by Design
– Supports the Education Program Manager and Surgical Foundations Director, Competency Committee, in defining the priorities and timelines to keep the CBD milestones on track and manages them appropriately.
– Coordinates the development of policies, procedures and documentation related to CBD.
– Circulates Competency by Design Committee agendas to Committee members highlighting flagged residents, transcribes and circulate minutes, arranges catering;
– Supports the Education Program Manager and Surgical Foundations Director with the completion of the CanAMS electronic documentation system as mandated by the RCPSC accreditation process to ensure compliance with deadlines.
– Provides communications and educates faculty, residents, and staff about internal and national policies, procedures, and new accreditation standards.
– Schedules onsite survey visits, including internal and external reviews.
– Provides administrative support for the Education program, including support for the Education Program Manager and Director;
– Processes financial requests such as Requisitions for Payment and Journal Vouchers and maintains records and invoices;
– Provides work coverage during absences of the Senior Program Assistant, MD Program;
– Performs general office duties as requested to ensure optimal functioning of unit;
– Responds to requests and inquiries;
– Performs other duties as required.
This position is performed in a professional environment in the Department of Surgery.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations works under the general direction of the Education Program Manager. The incumbent is expected to exercise clear, good judgment and initiative in prioritizing and scheduling work and with carrying out responsibilities. Tact, discretion, sensitivity and strict confidence are necessary to deal effectively with others. Failure to work in a timely and accurate manner may threaten the Program s accreditation. The accreditation process is extremely detailed and errors may create significantly adverse effects on all Residency Training programs in the Department. An error in judgment in dealing with clients in an inappropriate manner may adversely affect the Education Program s credibility and can inconvenience faculty, staff, residents at the University and affiliated hospitals. Notification of academic seminars is time sensitive and miscommunication could have a considerable impact on faculty and residents at various training sites. Failure to work appropriately and maintain a high level of accuracy could threaten accreditation.
The Senior Program Assistant, Surgical Foundations reports to the Education Program Manager, with the Department’ s Surgical Foundations Director providing functional direction. The Education Program Manager provides the overall management of and direction to the incumbent regarding work performance.
High School graduation and two year post-secondary diploma.4 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a Postgraduate Education environment is preferred.
– Word processing/computer experience required (intermediate to advanced MS Word and Excel);
– Ability to work and interact positively and constructively in a team environment and independently, and with a wide range of professionals and students;
– Proven track record in contributing to a positive, supportive workplace for all;
– Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills, with high level of efficiency, accuracy, and attention to detail;
– Sound judgment and demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, be tactful and discrete;
– Ability to work additional hours occasionally in evenings and early mornings, and rarely on weekends, as required;
– Ability to type 60 w.p.m. and to operate normal range of office equipment.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.