Senior Manager, Relationship Management and Strategy
The University of Queensland
- Office of the Vice President (Advancement and Community Engagement)
- Strategic role enabling UQ’s philanthropic & engagement culture & outcomes
- Lead & contribute to an organisation with a meaningful purpose & lasting impact
- Work at our vibrant and conveniently located St Lucia Campus
As part of the UQ community, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside the brightest minds, who have joined us from all over the world.
Everyone here has a role to play. As a member of our professional staff cohort, you will be actively involved in working towards our vision of a better world. By supporting the academic endeavour across teaching, research, and the student life, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to activities that have a lasting impact on our community.
Join a community where excellence is at the core of our culture, contributions are valued and a range of benefits and rewards are available, such as:
- 26 weeks paid parental leave or 14 weeks paid primary caregiver leave
- 17% superannuation contributions
- 17.5% annual leave loading
- Access to flexible working arrangements
- Health and wellness discounts – fitness passport access, free yearly flu vaccinations, discounted health insurance, and access to our Employee Assistance Program for staff and their immediate family
- On campus childcare options
- Cheap parking (from just $5 a day)
- Salary packaging options
About This Opportunity
You will be responsible for designing and implementing short- and long-term relationship management strategies that support the enablement of the philanthropic and engagement culture and outcomes of the Advancement and Community Engagement (ACE) portfolio. You are a strategic thinker, fostering continual improvement across the portfolio by providing vital business insights that inform and support ACE leadership and fundraising and engagement teams. These insights not only guide effective decision-making but also inspire philanthropic contributions, identifying sources for new leads and opportunities for expanded giving of existing major and principal donations.
You will work under the broad direction of the Deputy-Vice President, Advancement Services and the ACE Executive Leadership team. This roleis critical to ensuring that relationship management activity, particularly at the major and principal gift level, is fully enabled and optimised. You will combine a functional understanding of fundraising and engagement principles with business analysis skills to quantity problems and opportunities, facilitate problem solving, determine strategies for solutions, and communicate collaboratively with stakeholders within ACE and across UQ to ensure staff are cultivating the right relationships, at the right time, for the right philanthropic initiative.
You will be responsible for enabling substantial and ongoing philanthropic results by building a strong and effective pipeline of potential donors and directing ACE fundraising and engagement resources towards high-outcome relationship activities and expanded solicitation opportunities.
Key responsibilities will include:
Leadership & Management
- Establish a unified strategic direction for the Relationship Management and Strategy team, emphasising donor- and partner-centric values and operating principles, while fostering UQ-wide collaboration and transparency, and facilitating the delivery of critical insights for decision-making within fundraising and engagement programs.
- Lead and mentor the Relationship Management and Strategy team, managing issue resolution and balancing priorities to align with ACE and UQ’s goals, and develop both current and long-term strategies, program plans, operational objectives, and annual budgets for strategic use within the broader Advancement Services portfolio.
- Develop and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with key university partners including, in particular, Faculty and Institute teams and Information Management and Insights. Act as a senior point of contact for UQ Advancement and Community Engagement partners, taking charge of initiatives impacting relationship management priorities within ACE and beyond, such as Government Relations, Global Engagement, and Research Partnerships.
- Establish and implement metrics to evaluate the Relationship Management and Strategy team’s strategic contribution to overall fundraising and engagement outcomes.
Relationship and Lead Analysis
- Create and execute strategies aimed at expanding the scope and value of the UQ-wide lead and qualified prospect pools. This will involve oversight of extensive data collection, management, and analysis to gauge the capacity and affinity of potential donors and the delivery of strategic projects and insights to develop new and enhanced lead sources strengthening the major gift pipeline in alignment with UQ, faculty, institute, fundraising and engagement priorities.
- Lead the strategic development and implementation of standardised relationship management outputs to match potential philanthropic partners with suitable UQ resources and priorities. Offer both quantitative and qualitative insights into opportunities to integrate lead development and relationship cultivation activities across ACE fundraising and engagement programs. This leadership role will contribute to the strategic planning and long-term vision of portfolio.
- Work alongside senior leadership to establish relationship management performance indicators, delivering strategic advice on how to align fundraising and engagement activities to greater divisional outcomes.
- Identify, collect, analyse, and deliver recommendations related to UQ relationship management opportunities and fundraising and engagement industry trends within ACE relationship strategy meetings, ad-hoc training/communications, annual operational plans and specialised fundraising and engagement initiatives.
- Proactively drive the optimisation of fundraisers’ portfolios, ensuring they are structured to achieve the best possible results and aligned with the principles of the UQ Relationship Management Framework.
- Design the application of analytics, modelling, and AI outcomes to relationship strategy purposes, staying abreast of industry-leading practices in this space to develop a roadmap for implementation within ACE, in partnership with Senior Manager, Information Management and Insights.
- Oversee the creation of appropriate strategic briefing materials for UQ leadership and volunteers in their roles as fundraising and engagement advocates.
- Design liaison program, and serve as lead liaison, to develop partnerships with ACE teams that lead to deep collaboration, the leveraging of engagement activities for greater relationship outcomes, and the establishment and pursuit of shared objectives and opportunities to strengthen the solicitation lifecycle.
Relationship Data Management
- Develop and partner with Information Management and Insights to deliver an overarching plan for leveraging automated and technical solutions in support of the relationship management lifecycle, along with continual improvement for business rules and policies governing the application of technical ecosystem for this purpose.
- Inform ACE’s data acquisition strategy to maximise the benefits of Relationship Management and Strategy deliverables to fundraising and engagement outcomes by overseeing the collection and usage of related data, ensuring the relevance, confidentiality, accuracy and integrity of data, and compliance with relevant privacy legislation, UQ policies, and data ethics principles and in alignment with the donor bill of rights.
- Leverage technology to implement innovative relationship management strategies in line with UQ’s priorities, including leveraging the CRM and related technologies to create a reliable system for identifying potential wealth and affinity within UQ’s potential donor pool and promoting the CRM’s use and understanding by fundraising and engagement partners across portfolios for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in relationship cultivation efforts.
- Design and implement insights that support the strategic progression of relationships towards philanthropic outcomes by providing targeted and enhanced understanding of potential donors’ history, areas of interest, and engagement with UQ, through tools such as due diligence summaries, biographies, and consultations.
This role is subject to The University’s Code of Conduct .
This is a full-time (100%), continuing position at HEW level 9.
The full-time equivalent base salary will be in the range $123,496.74 – $130,685.52, plus a generous super allowance of up to 17%. The total FTE package will be up to $144,491.19 – $152,902.06 annually. As this role is covered by an Enterprise Agreement, you will also receive regular remuneration increases – at least once a year.
The position reports to the Deputy-Vice President, Advancement Services. Currently, seven positions directly report to this position.
- Postgraduate qualifications and extensive relevant experience; or extensive management experience and proven management expertise; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Excellent qualities in negotiation, tact, diplomacy, and an ability to maintain confidentiality; superior interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and sustain strong collaborative working relationships at all levels; work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, and problem-solving skills including the proven ability to devise practical, outcome-centred solutions to complex issues with minimal supervision.
- Highly experienced in the implementation of strategic process, technology, and insights initiatives through the analysis of staff and customer/stakeholder behaviour, including managing organisational change and the realisation of organisational benefits.
- Demonstrated effective strategic planning, management, and leadership skills within a high-profile management environment, with the proven ability to motivate and develop a high-performance team committed to excellent customer service.
- Experience working with a constituent relationship management (CRM) solution, and knowledge of how to leverage reporting and data visualisation tools to support strategic decision-making.
- A strong understanding of the principles of major gift fundraising, community engagement, the solicitation lifecycle, and the application of philanthropy to research institutes and universities.
In addition, the following mandatory requirements apply:
- Work Rights: You must have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of this appointment to apply. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
- Background Checks: All final applicants for this position may be asked to consent to a criminal record check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position. Each application will be considered on its merits.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ms Merrell Milano – [email protected]
For application queries, please contact [email protected] stating the job reference number (below) in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
All applicants must upload the following documents in order for your application to be considered:
- Cover letter addressing the ‘About You’ section
At UQ we know that our greatest strengths come from our diverse mix of colleagues, this is reflected in our ongoing commitment to creating an environment focused on equity, diversity and inclusion . We ensure that we are always attracting, retaining and promoting colleagues who are representative of the diversity in the broader community, whether that be gender identity , LGBTQIA+ , cultural and/or linguistic , Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples , or people with a disability . Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to [email protected]
If you are a current employee (including casual staff and HDR scholars) or hold an unpaid/affiliate appointment, please login to your staff Workday account and visit the internal careers board to apply for this opportunity. Please do NOT apply via the external job board.
Applications close 05 November 2023 at 11.00pm AEST (Job Reference Number – R-31683). Please note that interviews have been tentatively scheduled for mid-November.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.