Senior IT Associate
UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
November 3, 2023
Standard Job Description
Senior IT Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Senior IT Associate is a technical position within the UNHCR operation. Direct supervision is normally exercised by an (Assistant/Associate) IT Officer. In locations without a professional IT supervisor, the incumbent must be able to work independently due to the technical nature of the work and liaise directly with regional and HQs technical units for problem solving and consultations. Main task of the position is to ensure routine functioning of the IT system within the country operation and assist the management to improve and refine it with the technical progress.
The incumbent has regular contacts with all staff members maintaining smooth and friendly relations with a high responsive attitude towards problem solving and finding solutions. S/he has also contacts with external parties such as contractors and suppliers of IT equipment and services.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Undertake needs assessment on site and installations of UNHCR Telecommunications equipment considering the overall IT strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
– Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, satellite systems) to meet the needs of operations within the AoR.
– Ensure that the equipment under area of responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
– Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keeps the supervisor fully informed on the status of the equipment.
– Provide the office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
– If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement;
– Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
– Add or remove users from the Network.
– Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
– Maintain up to date inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
– Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of telecoms equipment.
– Maintains the VSAT Network and local PABX systems in the AOR.
– Undertake coaching, and training of IT staff and users. Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the IT equipment.
– Undertake upgrading of computers (Hardware, Software) in UNHCR offices to maintain current UNHCR standards and, subsequent installation of the new software platforms.
– Liaise directly with end users to clarify analyses and resolve reported issues, delivering high standard of customer services.
– Undertake other tasks or assignments within his/her area of competence as directed by Supervisor/Head of Service.
– Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
– Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved within scope of responsibility.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience with PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems. Knowledge of computer application packages.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
*IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
*IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF)
TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF), IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software, TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
Satellite Communications – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover (motivaiton) letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.
To apply for this job please visit www.impactpool.org.