Australian National University
Classification: Academic Level B
Salary package: $107,475 – $121,857per annum plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full time, Fixed Term (up to 24 months)
Working at ANU
This is an opportunity to work with a world class University that undertakes cutting edge research and has a strong tradition in research-led teaching excellence.
- Flexible working arrangements including hybrid arrangements working both on our beautiful, green campus and working remotely,
- Generous paid parental leave entitlements of up to 32 weeks. We are one of the leading employers in Australia for parental leave entitlements,
- Designated parent rooms, quiet spaces and childcare facilities on campus,
- Career support, training, mentoring & upskilling opportunities .
For more information on a range of lifestyle, financial and non-financial rewards and programs, please click here .
To see what the Science at ANU community is like, we invite you to follow us on social media at Instagram and Facebook .
A Diverse and Inclusive Team
ANU is introducing measures to support the recruitment, inclusion and retention of employees with disability. To find out more, please click here .
ANU is a large, diverse employer with staff working across numerous professions (see the full list of available roles here . We are a recipient of the bronze award through the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) program and a platinum member of the Australian Network on Disability. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and identities and from individuals who may have had a non-linear career path, career gaps or career breaks.
With the support of the ANU and approval from UNESCO, CPAS has launched a major four-year program of work under the auspices of a UNESCO Chair on Science Communication for the Public Good. The Research Fellow will support the work of the Chair by undertaking collaborative research, stakeholder engagement and knowledge-exchange. Working closely with the Chair-holder (Prof Sujatha Raman) and other key members of the team, they will help develop internationally engaged work on how science communication research and practice can address global challenges and aspirations for transformative change embodied in the UN 2030 Agenda and beyond. The Research Fellow will have the opportunity to contribute to imaginative ways of connecting and communicating across often deep divides in knowledge and practice on: meanings and practices of innovation, ‘good science’, and public good; and the implications for how we respond to planetary crises.
The Research Fellow will join a lively team including one other postdoctoral researcher and three PhD students, as well as other CPAS colleagues doing aligned work. Existing postdoctoral research focusses on novel ways of linking forms of knowledge about equity and environment for transformative agendas. The Research fellow will contribute to a parallel stream on knowledge about innovation for transformation, including, for example: the relationship between technological change, new heterodox economic and mission-based innovation policy models, and the implications for research and science communication. The specific focus will be determined by the Fellow’s prior expertise and interests, but is likely to engage with one or more of the following areas: bioeconomy, machine learning and AI, circular economy, synthetic biology, and/or broader sociotechnical innovations in key domains such as food and agriculture.
To excel in this role, you will have:
- A PhD in Science Communication, Science and Technology Studies or a related field, with a track record of independent research as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, a record of developing and maintaining collaborations and by other measures such as awards, and invitations to present at conferences.
- Evidence of knowledge and interdisciplinary research experience in areas relevant to science, innovation and transformative change research, e.g.: responsible innovation; science and public policy; transdisciplinary science engagement; mission-based innovation. Experience working in collaboration with the biophysical sciences (e.g., in areas such as bioeconomy, synthetic biology, AI and/or broader sociotechnical innovations in key areas such as food and agriculture or circular economy would be an advantage.
- A demonstrated ability and commitment to undertake individual and collaborative research activities.
We are looking for a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to quickly develop productive, professional relationships with colleagues and clients. Highly developed organisational skills and effective self-management are key.
Learn more about the ground-breaking research and work class facilities of the Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) here .
For more information about the position please contact Professor Sujatha Raman on E: [email protected] .
To be considered for this position, please upload the following documents:
- A current curriculum vitae (CV), and
- No more than a two-page summary addressing your suitability against the selection criteria.
The committee will consider candidates that do not meet one or more aspects of the selection criteria.
If shortlisted, candidates will be asked to complete a:
- 5-minute talk followed by 30-minute interview
If you require adjustments to participate in any of the above assessments, please contact our HR team at E: [email protected] . Any adjustment request or the disclosure of disability will not be communicated to the selection committee without the candidates consent and it will not having any bearing on hiring decisions.
For examples of common reasonable adjustments please click here .
The successful applicant must have rights to live and work in this country.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.