As part of your Consultancy role, you will undertake a scoping study that will guide Amnesty International’s future work on the human rights impact of China’s foreign policy and activities in the Philippines.
This requires a blend of knowledge of Philippines-China relations and international human rights laws and standards, as well as expertise in investigative research and the ability to work in English (Filipino and Visayan also highly desirable).
Start date: October/ September 2023
Duration: 3 months
Deadline for all applications: 09/10/2023
Rate: USD 6,000 fixed rate
OBJECTIVES AND DELIVERABLES
- Research Proposal: Within 2 weeks from the contract start date, submit a research proposal (template to be provided) to be developed with input from Amnesty and agreed with Amnesty before progressing with the assignment.
- Scoping Study Report: Findings of the scoping study should be conveyed in the form of a completed report, in English, not more than 10,000 words, including an overview and summary of findings, issue analysis/discussion, and recommendations.
- Report Presentation: In addition, a review of research findings should be presented in an informal videoconference with Amnesty, to discuss the report and answer any questions arising.
- Understanding of contemporary Philippines-China international and economic relations
- Working knowledge of international human rights law and standards, including the business and human rights frameworks
- Knowledge of and experience working with civil society in the Philippines
- Demonstrated experience of investigative and/or research methodologies
- Ability to write and present clearly in English
To bid for this work, please submit a short expression of interest (max 500 words), addressing the following points:
- Description of how you meet the consultant profile
- Brief outline of research methodology
- Anticipated expenses (estimate is fine)
- Confirmation of availability for immediate start
As standard, payments are made by Amnesty International 30 days after receipt of a valid invoice for the agreed work milestone completed.
Applications must be in PDF, Word, PowerPoint or Excel format.
Please refer to the Terms of Reference attached for more information on this Consultancy opportunity[KM2] .