Research Asst/Tech 2
University of British Columbia
Staff – Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Salaried – Research Assistant /Technician 2
Research Asst/Tech 2
Prystajecky Laboratory Centre for Disease Control Faculty of Medicine
$4,207.63 – $5,005.45 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
October 24, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Oct 31, 2024
At UBC, we believe that attracting and sustaining a diverse workforce is key to the successful pursuit of excellence in research, innovation, and learning for all faculty, staff and students. Our commitment to employment equity helps achieve inclusion and fairness, brings rich diversity to UBC as a workplace, and creates the necessary conditions for a rewarding career.
This appointment is for a Research Assistant position in the Environmental Microbiology Research Laboratory to provide technical support for a project measuring SARS-CoV-2, Influenza and RSV in wastewater throughout BC.
The applicant must be exceptionally detail-orientated, organized, and able to follow detailed protocols. They must be able to prioritize tasks to ensure that time-sensitive duties are completed in priority. This person must also be self-directed, able to excel in a team environment, know personal limitations, and take initiative to ask for assistance when needed.
The applicant reports to the project PI, Research Associate and Senior Scientific Project Leader, and will work primarily in an autonomous role, thus previous experience in research is key. The position is based at the BCCDC Public Health Laboratory. Remote work encouraged when it is possible, however the applicant will mostly work on-site due to the technical nature of the position.
- Performs daily lab work such as filtering wastewater samples and molecular techniques such as DNA/RNA automated extractions and quantitative RT-qPCR.
- Ensures that the laboratory conforms with relevant laboratory safety guidelines as they pertain to working a Biosafety Level II Lab, using Level III precautions.
- Coordinates, monitors, and ensures the implementation and enforcement of laboratory safety rules and procedures.
- Maintains detailed inventory of samples processed and keep meticulous records of their work and troubleshooting problems.
- Analyzes and summarizes results for reports, publications, and presentations at team meetings, including graph preparation.
- Assists the supervisor with the design and planning of experiments and writing of standard operating procedures.
- Organizes laboratory and stock, maintains inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Assists with tracking and organizing financial paperwork pertaining to purchase invoices.
- Aides in summarizing and archive relevant literature and project documents.
- Assists in constructing libraries for Illumina Sequencing, probe capture of libraries and loading sequencing instruments
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The applicant is required to conduct all activities in an ethical manner. Any procedures or data recorded as part of this research must be accurate and must accurately reflect the work performed. Strict confidentiality of all project participants is critical. Errors made could influence the ability of researchers to interpret data correctly, delay the timely completion of work, and thus compromise the results of research projects. This would impact the credibility of the PI and other team members.
Most aspects of work will be assigned and then carried out independently, with feedback from Project PI, Research Associate and Senior Scientific Project Leader.
High school graduation, some additional training in a related field and a minimum two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Willingness to respect diverse perspectives, including perspectives in conflict with one’s own
– Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to equity, diversity, and inclusion
Computer literacy and proficiency (minimum with Microsoft Office). Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Able to identify and relate to concerns of others and to exercise good judgement when resolving difficulties. Demonstrated ability to show initiative and self-directed work habits. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, respectful, and effective manner.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.