November 11, 2023
- Kigali, Rwanda
International Union for Conservation of Nature
In this regard, IUCN Rwanda office is implementing several projects under Sustainable Agriculture and land health portifolio including EU funded DeSIRA (Development of Smart Innovation through Research in Agriculture) Projects for Agroforestry Research; and sustainable land-soil-crop (LSC) hub information services as well as IKEA funded project to accelerate the global transition to sustainable agriculture through Nature based solutions approach.
Under this background, the entire portfolio of intervention has the following major objectives:
- Main objective is to increase the pace and scale of agroforestry-based restoration of degraded agricultural land and sustainable use of biomass energy, with associated improvements of land health, livelihoods and poverty reduction;
- Secondly, it is to accelerate action for mainstreaming land health in sustainable agriculture, as a Nature based Solution to food and water insecurity, climate change and other societal challenges;
- Finally, It also contributes to increased agricultural productivity and farm income, especially for small-scale farmers (male and female) basedon agro-ecological and regenerative practices, climate-resilient and sustainable food production and through development/use of LSC hub information services.
- To implement portifolio objectives, IUCN wants to recruit a Project Officer, Agroforestry & Agro-ecology who will be supporting the implementation of research and development projects working in Rwanda on Sustainable agriculture under supervision of the Regional Programme Officer, Sustainable Agriculture. IUCN is seeking a high performing and experienced candidate with knowledge in agroforestry systems, regenerative Agriculture, Plant and livestock production systems, and Integrated Soil Fertility Management.
Job Description Responsibilities:
- The major task of the Project Officer, Agroforestry & Agro-ecology is to support the implementation of project research and development activities under the portfolio of DeSIRA agroforestry in action in the Eastern province of Rwanda with the timely and quality delivery of field-related work, data analysis and reporting. In addition, he will also play roles in supporting other ongoing and new initiatives under Sustainable Agriculture portfolio including DeSIRA LSC hub development, among others.
- The incumbent will be located in the IUCN Rwanda, Kigali office with frequent travel to the field.
- Under the direct guidance of, and working closely with, the relevant Project Manager, the specific responsibilities of the Project Officer, Agroforestry & Agro-ecology will be:
- Assist the project Manager in the implementation of DESIRA Agroforestry, LSC and other related activities under FLR and sustainable Agriculture portifolio;
- Assist the Project Manager to maintain good collaboration between DESIRA project partners and stakeholders including ENABEL, ICRAF, UGent, KUL and Districts;
- Responsible for establishing, monitoring supervising research experiments on agroforestry systems, and agricultural landscape functional biodiversity in the Eastern Province;
- Conduct sample and data management, and reporting for agroforestry biodiversity, soil and crop production assessment;
- Through active participation with partners and stakeholders, assist in the development of annual, quarterly and monthly intervention and reporting plans;
- Suppport to organize trainings, meetings, workshops and other events for partners, and stakeholders in line with projects implementation;
- Support the establishment, organization, and training of local community groups in promoting agroforestry systems, land health, sustainable agriculture, and climate smart technologies;
- Support the natural regeneration and enrichment plantation of biodiversity-supportive native trees and shrubs and for regeneration of biodiversity tree seedling production, planting, and maintenance/protection;
- In close collaboration with the M &E Officer, provide regular field reports and ensure monitoring and recording of progress against the project’s indicators;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Requirements Position Requirements:
- A minimum of a Bsc degree in the areas of Agroforestry, Integrated Soil Fertility Management, Regenerative agriculture, and Natural Resources and Sustainable Land Management, Agrobiodiversity and any related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in soil science, agro-ecology, regenerative agriculture, natural resources;
- Good knowledge of nature based solutions approach in agriculture;
- Demonstrated experience and an in-depth understanding farming systems and agro biodiversity conservation in Rwanda and ESARO Region;
- Have strong experience of working with international organizations is added advantage;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and knowledge of GIS will be a benefit;
- A good level of report writing, networking, facilitation and communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience in data analytics, and writing skills of scientific paper;
- Possess energy, drive, enthusiasm, commitment and passion for good quality work benefiting communities and environment.
- A high level of proficiency in oral and written communication in English and the local language is required.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.