Project Financial Analyst/Controller
Motive International, LLC
Project Financial Analyst/Controller
We’re seeking to fill this role ASAP. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply early.
Motive International (www.motiveinternational.com) has an immediate opening for a part-time (full time also possible) Project Financial Analyst/Controller.
About Motive and this Opportunity: Motive International is not like most Federal contractors. We are a social enterprise with a hybrid for-profit/not-for-profit business model focused entirely on a mission to mitigate global conflict and instability. We implement programs and deliver training for numerous U.S. federal agencies and commercial clients and conduct pro-bono impact initiatives all around the world that help make societies more peaceful and prosperous.
We are seeking a motivated professional inspired by this mission to join our team as a Project Financial Analyst/Controller. The ideal start date for this role is between late November 2023 and January 2024. This is a new position with the potential to be shaped by the selected candidate’s vision and career goals. For example, a successful hire may wish to take on Program Management responsibilities or assume a leadership role on our accounting or business operations team. This is a great role for a mid-career professional seeking leadership experience, or an accomplished leader wanting to apply their expertise to a dynamic, mission-driven organization.
This position will support Motive’s client portfolio that includes projects all over the world on topics ranging from reducing the proliferation of weapons, to countering disinformation. While the ideal candidate need not be knowledgeable on these topics, they must take a sincere interest in our work to understand how best to manage financial resources in support of project objectives.
This position offers a high degree of schedule and work format flexibility. The role is mostly remote, with roughly 2-4 in-person meetings per month in the Washington, DC area. Time commitment is between 15-30 hours/week to start, on a flexible, mutually agreed schedule. We’re open to a full-time offer, but prefer part-time to start. The position does not require travel, but we welcome interested candidates to make occasional visits to our project sites in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the U.S. These trips would be no more than 1 week and are very fun!
· Manage financial health of client-funded projects.
· Work closely with and make recommendations to Program Managers (PMs), Subject Matter Expert Technical Leads (TLs), Motive’s Lead Accountant, and the CEO.
· Set up and manage software and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for project cost controlling. This may include leveraging Motive’s existing software stack or leading the adoption of new tools.
· Track project burn rates and spend patterns and make recommendations to PMs on budget re-allocations, options to reduce costs, etc.
· Analyze budgets to determine min/max time-to-task targets for time-based personnel and work with personnel on time allocations/management.
· Issue travel authorizations and process reimbursements to personnel traveling in support of projects, and support travel coordination as needed.
· Conduct market research for project vendors as needed (e.g., translators, venues, professional services) and manage vendor payments.
· Administer subcontracts and consultant agreements.
· Support project invoicing and prepare financial data for project-specific monthly and quarterly client reports.
· Meet periodically with Motive’s Lead Accountant to reconcile cost pools and indirect cost allocations at the project and company-wide levels.
· Genuine interest in Motive’s social enterprise business model and mission to mitigate global conflict and instability
· Based within 50 miles of Washington, DC and able to come to DC roughly 2-4 times/month
· Degree in business, finance, accounting, public administration, or related field (bachelor’s degree or higher preferred)
· At least 3 years of experience supporting/managing federal contracts or grants
· Strong experience using/configuring various accounting/project management software and ability to learn new software quickly
· Mastery of OS365 tools, especially Excel, Teams, SharePoint
· Demonstrated problem-solving and leadership skills
· Excellent communication skills including strong writing abilities and the ability to communicate financial information to non-financial colleagues
· Competitive compensation based on experience
· Flexible schedule and great work/life balance
· Lots of career advancement and professional development opportunities
· Opportunities for international travel
We are looking for a candidate that not only has the technical skills to be successful in this role but who has a genuine interest in Motive’s mission and shares the values of our organization. We value direct communication, creative thinking, and teamwork. Our work is fast-paced and dynamic. We value colleagues who thrive when presented with the opportunity to solve a new problem for which no clear standards exist. Because we are a geographically dispersed team, we place a premium on proactive communication and people who enjoy working as a team and keeping colleagues informed. If this sounds like you or someone you know, we’d love to hear from you.
1. To apply, first, please spend some time on our website (www.motiveinternational.com) getting a sense of what we do.
2. Next, prepare your CV and write a custom statement of interest (1-2 pages) addressing the following:
· Tell us what appeals to you about this opportunity and why you’re the right person for this position. We’re eager to hear about your financial management skills as much as your broader career goals and interest in Motive’s mission and values.
· Briefly describe the software you’d suggest using in this role.
· Tell us your ideal work schedule in terms of start date, hours per week, and preferred hours/days. Let us know any scheduling considerations we should keep in mind, such as family responsibilities or other work commitments.
· Confirm you are able to travel to DC at least 2-4 times/month, and if there are any issues that might affect your ability to do so.
· If you know anyone who has worked with Motive, or if you were referred by someone we know, please share their name.
3. When you have the above items ready use this LINK to submit your application.
We will review applications on a rolling basis, so please apply early. We’d like to fill this position quickly. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview or additional information.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.