Apply now Back to search results Job no:527386
Work type:Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Categories:Engineering, Research / Scientific
The Behkam Lab at Virginia Tech seeks highly motivated and dynamic candidates for a postdoctoral associate position in Engineered Living Materials and Systems. This position will provide a unique opportunity to work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary environment as part of a team of engineers, cell biologists, clinicians, and public health experts.
The project will focus on engineering generally recognized as safe (GRAS) bacteria and yeast for disease monitoring and treatment applications. The engineered cells will be integrated into multifunctional Engineered Living Systems or Materials. Combining experimental work with computational modeling, this position will offer a unique opportunity to acquire a well-rounded interdisciplinary skillset. The selected candidate will also be encouraged to pursue complementary new research directions and apply for independent grants and fellowships. They will also be mentored to develop scientific leadership and management skills.
Compensation for this position will be at or above NIH guidelines and will include competitive benefits and a retirement package offered by Virginia Tech. The position is available starting as soon as possible and is eligible for annual renewal contingent upon satisfactory progress and continued funding.
– Doctorate in Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Biophysics, or a related discipline. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
– Possess strong problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
– Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
– Strong communication skills.
– Possesses enthusiasm to conduct independent and collaborative interdisciplinary research.
– Ability and willingness to mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
– Experience working with synthetic biology and metabolic engineering.
– Experience working with Biosafety Level-2 (BSL-2) microorganisms, and proficiency in standard cell culture techniques.
– Additional expertise in two or more of the following areas: (1) molecular biology techniques (e.g., RNA-seq, RT-PCR, Western immunoblots, ELISA, flow cytometry), (2) advanced optical microscopy, (3) recombination DNA technology, and (4) computational modeling and analysis tools.
November 15, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amanda Collins at [email protected] during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.