Post Doctoral Fellow – Biology
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Helps design and conduct research within a specified field while receiving advanced training from a designated Principal Investigator to enhance professional skills and research independence needed for pursuit of a career. The specific area of research in which the trainee is mentored is determined by the department and laboratory of the Postdoc. Designs and evaluates experiments. Develops new ideas that promote current research. Prepares and publishes scientific manuscripts under the direction of the Principal Investigator. May be responsible for operation of specific equipment. May teach techniques to others, train, and supervise research staff. Positions are temporary appointments as a research trainee. The initial appointment is for one year, renewal expected if progress is satisfactory and funds are available. Appointments cannot exceed five years.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A doctoral degree or equivalent (Ph.D., M.D., ScD., D.V.M., DDS etc) in an appropriate field. Excellent scientific writing ability and strong oral communication skills. The ability to work effectively and collegially with colleagues. Additional qualifications as specified by the Principal Investigator.
Emory University is a distinguished institution of higher learning, recognized for its dedication to academic excellence, groundbreaking research, and fostering an inclusive and innovative learning environment. We are looking for a skilled Postdoctoral Fellow to join the Center for Infectious Disease Modeling & Analytics and Training Hub (CIDMATH). CIDMATH is one of 13 Centers funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to improve outbreak response using data, modeling, and advanced analytics for ongoing and future infectious disease threats and public health emergencies. Our focus includes developing methods, tools, and integrating existing and novel data streams for infectious disease modeling, coupled with offering state-of-the-art training for the modeling community.
We are actively recruiting an enthusiastic and highly skilled Postdoctoral Fellow to join our dynamic research team. This individual will play a pivotal role in advancing infectious disease modeling and development of novel inference methods . Specifically, this person will work on a project developing statistical approaches for estimating key epidemiological parameters from outbreak data, including from wastewater sequence data.
This position offers an exciting opportunity for professional development and collaboration within a vibrant academic community and leaders in the field.
- Research Conduct: Conduct independent and collaborative research with a focus on infectious disease modeling, sequence-based statistical inference, machine learning or causal inference methods.
- Design, plan, and execute experiments, simulations, or data analyses to address research questions.
- Publication and Dissemination: Prepare and submit research findings for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Present research results at national and international conferences.
- Collaborate with other members of the research team, fostering a multidisciplinary approach.
- Engage in collaborative initiatives within the institution and with external partners.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to graduate students and junior researchers.
- Foster a positive and inclusive research environment.
- A Ph.D. in Biology, Biostatistics, Ecology and Evolution, Epidemiology, Mathematics, or Global Health with a strong background in mathematical and statistical modeling.
- Demonstrated expertise in the design and simulation of epidemiological models, clinical data analysis, sequence analysis, and/or machine learning approaches.
- Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran’s status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply?
Connect with us for general consideration!
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.