Policy & Advocacy Adviser – Ukraine (INT9964)
Working at Oxfam
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
In March 2022, Oxfam launched its response to the influx of refugees and other people forced to flee from Ukraine in Romania, Moldova and Poland. A Programme Management Unit (PMU) was established to provide leadership, oversee, support and provide technical assistance to the response in the affected countries. The PMU is led by the Organizational Lead and includes dedicated advocacy and influencing capacity; business support functions, and a programme quality team with technical support on gender in emergencies, protection, cash and voucher programming, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL), and safeguarding. Oxfam is supporting a partner-led humanitarian response for the assistance and protection of refugees and other vulnerable people from Ukraine and the communities, organisations and authorities that are hosting and supporting them in neighbouring countries.
RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: INTERESTED CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND NOT TO WAIT UNTIL THE CLOSING DATE, AS CVS WILL BE REVIEWED AS THEY ARE SUBMITTED AND INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
The Ukraine crisis response Advocacy, Communication and Engagement (ACE) team, partners in Ukraine, allies and the wider Oxfam confederation, develop Oxfam’s policy lines and approaches for effective influencing work by Oxfam with regards to the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
Please see the attached job description for the full responsibilities that the Policy & Advocacy Adviser will undertake and the required skills and competencies.
Job Type: Fixed Term – 1 Year.
What we are looking for
- Strong knowledge of global humanitarian and conflict issues, particularly those related to localisation, humanitarian principles, International Humanitarian Law, protection of civilians, displacement, and impacts of conflicts on women and girls.
- Excellent analytical and writing abilities, including the ability to adapt writing styles for specific audiences, also under time pressure.
- Experience with engaging in advocacy on conflict, gender, displacement in the context of a humanitarian crisis.
- Strong experience and understanding of developing accurate power analysis, advocacy strategies, and theories of change, including awareness of political sensitivities and ability to support partners in developing these skills.
- Effective negotiation abilities and informal leadership skills in a multi-stakeholder, network environment.
- Ability to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally and at many levels, with credibility, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to interrogate and openly discuss privilege and how to address power imbalances.
- Adherence to Oxfam’s vision and principles, including feminist and humanitarian principles
- Excellent spoken and written English with proven track record of publications and wide range of writing (policy papers, briefs, blogs etc).
Understanding of inequality and gender justice issues
- Knowledge of the Ukrainian and/or Russian language is an added value.
- Knowledge/experience of the context of Ukraine and surrounding countries
- Experience working with partner organisations, applying a partner-led approach
- Lived experiences with intersecting systems of oppression, with knowledge and experience of how power and privilege play out in the contexts we work in.
Apply For This Role
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.