Open Learning Faculty Member (Web): COMP 3611 Database Systems
Thompson Rivers University
Open to both Internal and external
Open Learning Faculty Member
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Teaching Allocation Percentage (TAP)
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
Students are introduced to the database concepts. Students review the underlying data structures that make up databases. Students learn database design techniques using both the Entity Relationship model as well as an object oriented approach to designing database systems. Students study the relational database model and data normalization as they design and implement a case study project. Students also learn data description language, data manipulation language (updates, queries, reports), and data integrity. Students complete a case study work using a relevant and current relational database management system, database management system, software product.
Open Learning Faculty Members are teaching staff in the Open Learning division of TRU, and the role of the Open Learning Faculty Member is to actively encourage, support and guide students toward success in their academic studies. Open Learning Faculty Members must be skilled in teaching, fully knowledgeable of the subject matter and demonstrate a positive, open and caring attitude in all interaction with students.
Responsibilities of the Open Learning Faculty Member (Web) include but are not limited to:
- Administrative set up and record keeping
- Initiating and maintaining regular contact with the student as specified in the collective agreement
- Responding to all student queries by phone, e-mail or other method as appropriate within the time frame outlined in the collective agreement
- Marking all assignments, posting results and providing prompt feedback
- Marking exams and posting results
We anticipate 25 – 50 students in this course per year. These numbers are only estimates and actual numbers for the course may be greater or less than the estimated numbers.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD in Computing Science and documented excellence in helping students achieve their goals. Masters Degree may be considered if accompanied by significant relevant experience. In addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills, the preferred candidates will have demonstrated skills and abilities in distance education.
The Open Learning Faculty Member must:
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter of the course
- Have received training or have successful experience in the active facilitation of learning in a collaborative online environment
- Have direct experience working with current educational technologies, tools and Learning Management Systems
- Have demonstrated knowledge of effective pedagogy in the use of current educational technology and tools
- Have demonstrated skills and abilities in the delivery of flexible learning materials, the application of instructional technology and in the application of adult learning principles
According to TRUOLFA Salary Schedule
BC CA (Primary)
Qualified TRUOLFA applicants will be given first consideration filling this post
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Open Learning -> Program Delivery
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.