Monitoring Mechanism Specialist
October 16, 2023
- Banjul, Gambia
Food and Agriculture Organization
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to lead international efforts to defeat hunger and poverty around the globe. The Organization has broad mandate, which covers multiple disciplines and sectors (agricultural crops, livestock, forest management, fisheries, climate change, management of natural resources, legal and policy frameworks, etc.), and it allows the provision of a holistic and multi-sectorial support on climate change mitigation and adaptation in the fisheries, forestry and land-use sectors, and benefit from the advice of technical experts from different technical areas.
In line with the above mandate, and in response to the needs of the country, FAO Gambia and partners are implementing the Climate Fishery Initiative for Livelihood Improvement in the Gambia (PROREFISH Gambia) project. The Project aims to address increased resilience and enhanced livelihoods, health, wellbeing, food and water security of the most vulnerable people, communities, and regions.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Establish regular monitoring mechanism for mangrove forest cover and train relevant government staff of sectoral institutions.
- Assess institutional capacity to enhance participation in mangrove restoration and monitoring activities.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring protocol and training modules for monitoring forest cover as reference material for trainees as well as serve as a training guide.
- Brainstorm and agree on the design of your community resource map.
- Identify the ecosystem services provided by mangrove within your sector.
- Propose suitable monitoring mechanism and identify responsible sectors to implement them.
- Identify the gender roles and responsibilities of all actors responsible for the decline in mangrove forest cover.
- Proffer sustainable solutions for the sustainable utilization and conservation of mangrove forest cover.
- Ground truth to validate/update the designed community resource maps.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following:
- University degree in Natural Resource and Environmental and Management related fields
- At least 2 years of professional working experience in the Natural Resource sector.
- Experience in using resource monitoring devices and tools.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French.
- Proven capability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Good command of English and proven ability to transfer knowledge and skills.
- Proven record of training experience.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.