Human Rights Watch
The Media Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking applicants for the position of Media Associate to provide administrative and organizational support to its teams. The Media Department at Human Rights Watch (HRW) houses our written and visual media teams, including Communications, Multimedia and Digital. We produce a huge amount of content daily in multiple languages, reaching an audience of millions to raise awareness and empower individuals to act on human rights abuses around the world.
As the Media Department’s Associate, you are someone with good news sense, excellent writing skills and sound administrative skills. The successful candidate will assist our Media team including supporting the production of media materials such as audio, social, and video products. This may include researching and script writing and social media promotion. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in international news and have some basic understanding of podcast formats and delivery methods preferred.
This full-time position will be based in either our New York or Washington D.C. office and will report to the Chief Communications Officer based in Washington D.C.
The successful candidate may have the option to work remotely but should have the ability to work from the office on occasion. We aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment and onboarding of this position.
1. Provide day-to-day administrative support to the Chief Communications Officer, including managing calendar, scheduling meetings, and making travel arrangements;
2. Provide administrative support to the Media Department teams, which includes handling invoices, assisting with contracts, and scheduling meetings;
3. Assist in the production of media products, such as helping schedule guests and assist in research and script wiring for the HRW podcast;
4. Support the development of HRW’s presence on social media and HRW’s social media accounts, including supporting Twitter spaces, following trends on new platforms, and some community response on TikTok and LinkedIn;
5. Support The Week in Rights newsletter and website publishing;
6. Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in communications, journalism, social sciences, international relations, or related studies is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required, preferably in media or a media related field.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail and problem solving are essential. Prior office/administration experience is required.
2. Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently, as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations, is required.
3. Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office and Google applications is required.
4. Basic knowledge of social media platforms is required; experience with a customer management system (CMS) or website editing is a plus.
5. The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities while working effectively toward deadlines is required.
6. Excellent oral and written communications skills in English are required; proficiency in another language is highly preferred.
7. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences.
8. Interest in international human rights and media is preferred. Familiarity with or strong interest working in a news environment is preferred.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess valid U.S. work authorization.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $52,000- 56,415. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, a retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on jobs-near-me.eu
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.