Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
One of Canada’s leading university presses, McGill-Queen’s University Press invites applications for the position of Marketing Manager. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will provide dynamic leadership for the marketing, promotion, and sales of 100-150 scholarly and trade titles annually to diverse markets.
MQUP is seeking an energetic, creative, and achievement-oriented individual who will bring fresh perspective, engagement with current trends in book production, marketing, and sales, and enthusiasm for collaborating with an exceptional team of publishing professionals. As part of the senior management team of the Press, actively participate in decisions related to the strategic direction and focus of our publishing program. In conjunction with marketing titles, they will develop and execute campaigns to raise awareness of the range of press publishing activities and its mission. This position directly supervises a department of six full-time staff, plus students and other part-time positions. The position is based in Montreal, one of North America’s most livable, affordable, and culturally rich cities.
- Manage the distribution of books in Canada, the US, UK and all over the world, including print-on-demand sales in Australia.
- Manages Marketing budget and helps forecast sales included in the management report for the Audit and Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement both short- and long-term strategic sales and marketing plans to achieve or exceed revenue goals at title and program levels.
- Oversee domestic and international book sales in print and digital formats, supporting growth particularly in the US and UK/European markets, and all aspects of marketing (i.e., publicity, online and social media marketing, advertising, promotion, print and digital marketing materials, and exhibits) for approximately 150 new originated books each year and a backlist of 4,000 active titles.
- Manage e-commerce website including any updates or redesigns and bibliographic metadata generation and transmission.
- Responsible for the marketing budget
- Work with the editorial department, Executive Director, and Finance and Business Manager to establish sales projections, format, and pricing for new books, reprints, and new editions.
- University degree – a post-graduate degree, while not necessary, would be desirable.
- 5 – 8 years’ experience in marketing and/or sales management at a scholarly, professional, or trade publisher.
- Demonstrated success in developing effective marketing and sales programs for North America, UK/Europe, and internationally.
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing digital and social media campaigns.
- Excellent communicator in both written and spoken English.
- Proven ability to establish positive relationships with authors, press colleagues, customers, sales reps, and publishing partners within and outside the academy.
- Experience in motivating and leading teams in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to think strategically about the rapidly evolving role of scholarly, trade and educational publishing.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Comprehensive understanding of publishing metadata and familiarity with data management tools.
- Basic understanding of analytics and tracking tools and trends.
- Spoken French desirable, but not a prerequisite.
Knowledge of French and English: McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing. The level of English required for this position has been assessed at a level 4 (qualifier) on a scale of 0-4.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 5 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 07) $87,090.00 – $108,860.00 – $130,630.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Executive Director (McGill-Queen’s University Press)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.