October 13, 2023
- Cairo, Egypt
World Bank Group
Sustainable infrastructure is critical for addressing developmental challenges in emerging markets. IFC offers long-term financing and industry-leading expertise to develop infrastructure projects that provide essential services – including energy & electricity, telecommunications, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources – in partnership with the private sector. As part of the World Bank Group, we also work with governments and development partners to create a business environment that attracts private capital to infrastructure sectors.
The Africa Infrastructure team is seeking an (Associate) Investment Officer for our office in Cairo, Egypt. The selected candidate will report to the New Business Manager Infrastructure North Africa and Horn of Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The (Associate) Investment Officer will identify new investment opportunities, execute transactions and actively manage portfolio projects.
More specifically, assignments will encompass:
- Gather market intelligence, source and assess opportunities, anticipate market trends, and by employing sector/country knowledge identify bankable projects then synthesise information into internal reports for decision making purposes.
- The Investment Officer will also support and work closely with various Client Relationship Managers for assigned clients in the development of client strategies, engagement plans, relationships and pitchbooks, engaging with clients, as appropriate, to understand their business directions and challenges that may lead to new opportunities.
Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new debt and equity transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc. This shall include performing credit and risk assessments (covering financial, technical, environmental and social, legal, insurance as well integrity aspects), financial projections, due diligence of project and/or company documentation, negotiating, structuring and documenting finance documents, as well as preparing internal documents required for internal approvals while coordinating.
Transaction Management and Portfolio Monitoring:
- Lead straightforward investment transactions incorporating lessons learned from IFC’s earlier investments, portfolio management or advisory mandates.
- Handle disbursements, waivers and complex client interactions such as restructurings; covenant compliance reviews (debt monitor and value equity investments and recommends/executes the sale of holdings), and general supervision of assets held in IFC’s portfolio as assigned
- Review and analyze the financial and operating performance of clients; prepare quarterly risk ratings, annual supervision and other management reports as well as project profiles.
- Apply knowledge of project/portfolio lifecycle to identify and meet critical path milestones and to implement tasks (including production of documents) in a timely and high-quality fashion for the processing or supervision of projects.
- Deliver all duties of the role efficiently, on a timely and expeditious basis and using best practice standards.
- Monitor the assigned portfolio projects and report development results internally and externally, as required.
- Coordinate and work closely with credit risk, legal, technical, insurance, social and environmental, corporate governance and other colleagues in structuring transactions, to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to project and sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
Strategy Development and Knowledge Sharing:
- Contribute to drafting strategies for sectors, countries, or regions for business development; and develop and execute strategies for more complex client engagements with the objective of building a robust investment pipeline.
- Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination.
- Initiate collaboration and share expertise as a subject matter expert, providing advice, peer review and contribution to knowledge products across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Lead, support and/or help organise logistics and planning for team and regional training retreats, as required. Promote the IFC brand and represent IFC at conferences and workshops, as appropriate.
- Coordination with WBG: Support World Bank and MIGA colleagues on sector reform and unblocking constraints to attracting private sector capital.
- Mentoring and coaching: Mentor and coach junior team members to help build talent and grow the skill base of staff.
- Master’s degree in finance or similar relevant education;
- At least 5 years, more is a plus, of relevant professional experience in project finance and/or infrastructure development and investment at an investment bank, corporate bank, development finance institution, private equity firm, infrastructure developer, financial advisor and/or other relevant firm.
- Strong analytical and financial structuring skills (including extensive financial modelling experience).
- Sound business judgment in screening and identifying leads, problem solving, negotiation skills, as well as ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure.
- Proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing private investment projects in infrastructure sectors, ideally including investments in the Middle East and Africa regions.
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, including the ability to effectively focus on client’s needs, demonstrated by track record;
- Project finance and equity investment experience is essential; strong credit skills backed by references and deal sheet; demonstrated ability to structure complex debt and equity transactions; track record of portfolio supervision of complex projects is a plus.
- Broad understanding of infrastructure sectors such as power, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources, telecom technology, industry drivers, latest trends and changes, and standard market transaction arrangements; a deep knowledge within one of the infrastructure sectors and understanding of infrastructure challenges faced by countries within the region are highly desirable.
- Appreciation of legal, technical, insurance, environmental, social, corporate governance and other considerations in limited-recourse project and corporate finance.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and well-organized.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential; Arabic and French would be a plus, but not essential.
- Strong inter-personal skills, a true team player, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development and to highest ethical standards.
- The position requires varying degree of regional and international travel – hence the candidate should be able and willing to travel as needed.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.