Location: Preference for one of IMPACT’s countries of operation (Burundi, Burkina Faso, Canada, Côte d’Ivoire, DRC, Uganda, Mali, Zimbabwe) but open to international candidates working remotely
Language: English/French bilingual essential
Closing Date: November 5, 2023
Expected start date: As soon as possible
The HR Officer/Manager is responsible for the employee life cycle management of all staff across the organization. They work under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations and work closely with the Executive Director, Program Director, and Country Leads, as well as the Admin Manager and IT Coordinator.
The HR Officer/Manager is responsible for overseeing and supporting the implementation of IMPACT’s HR system: policies, procedures, recruitment, professional development, assessments, employee onboarding and offboarding. They are responsible for staff contracting and employee management. In addition, they develop and implement all HR policies across the organization—globally and within country offices.
This role requires a high level of confidentiality and diplomacy. The candidate will have to be fully bilingual in English and French. The role will be at the Officer or Manager level, depending on selected candidate’s profile and experience.
Policies and Procedures
- Develops and implements human resources policies and procedures for all employees, based on applicable laws.
- Human resources policies and procedures are included in the employee manual and communicated with all staff.
- Proactively propose improvements to IMPACT’s organization-wide HR system, policies, and procedures in keeping with the commitments set out in IMPACT’s 2024-2029 strategic plan.
Recruitment, Onboarding, Offboarding
- Responsible for recruitment of new positions, including preparing job descriptions, placement of vacancy announcements, compiling shortlisted candidates, and supporting recruiting managers in interviews and selection process, as needed.
- Support the Director of Operations with the drafting, review, and monitoring of contractual agreements with all service providers, contractors, and consultants.
- Draft and manage new staff offer letters and contracts ensuring the timely and accurate calculation and communication of salary, pension contributions, and wage increases.
- Coordinating systematic support to new employees, ensuring they have and understand all relevant materials and information and that systems are ready and operational in a timely fashion.
- Ensuring exit interviews are conducted with departing staff.
Employee Performance and Engagement
- Organize, implement, and monitor of identified staff training and development activities.
- Manage the process of staff performance planning and management, including probation and annual reviews
- Coordinate and manage a wide range of employee engagement activities on regular basis
- Responds to employee relations issues such as employee complaints.
Employee Data Management
- Maintain and update the IMPACT’s organigram, along with employee directory.
- Manage all documentation related to the administration of staff contracts, benefits and maintain adequate records of all correspondence.
- Maintain a database and monitor expiry dates of all staff contracts and renew as and when necessary.
- Monitor staff absence and leave and ensure the filing of appropriate documentation.
- Maintain employee files, including providing employee numbers and open individual files for new employees.
Payroll and Benefits
- Responsible for ensuring all staff benefits plans are maintained and that staff are fully and accurately informed about their benefits, including any changes.
- Regularly and promptly, address queries from managers and staff on changes to their remuneration packages, and effectively communicate updates and changes as needed.
- Prepare Payroll and other adjustments to payroll in close coordination with the Finance Team.
Required Qualifications & Skills
Candidates are asked to clearly demonstrate in their applications how they meet the requirements of the position.
Essential qualifications, expertise, and skills:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in fields such as Human Resources or Administration
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in human resources
- Proven practical experience in HR management across multiple jurisdictions (including the development of HR policies and principles)
- Ability to understand and function in different legal environments. Ability to interpret appropriate laws and policies affecting human resources management and ability to advise management and employees accordingly.
- Experience in working with multicultural staff in different international contexts, both remote and in-office.
- Ability to connect operational challenges to HR activities.
- Demonstrated experience with data management, including ability to assess and analyze information.
- Demonstrated experience in employee contracting.
- Command of computers, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Candidates must be fluently bilingual (French and English); spoken, written and read
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to build nurturing relationships
- Problem solving, good judgment, analytical, mathematical and logical thinking
- Personable; Good communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, planning and time management, and the ability to multitask
- Good ability to work in a team, in an intercultural environment and to maintain good interpersonal relationships
- Integrity and strong ethics
- Leadership and motivation: commitment to excellence in performance by showing enthusiasm for the job as well as personal conviction, strength of character and trust in the team
- Rigor and concern for accuracy, precision and compliance with standards
IMPACT transforms how natural resources are managed in areas where security and human rights are at risk. We investigate and develop approaches for natural resources to improve security, development, and equality. We are an independent non-profit, collaborating with local partners for lasting change.
IMPACT is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices in Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and Côte d’Ivoire, as well as projects in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Zimbabwe. Learn more at www.impacttransform.org
How to apply
Send the following information by email to [email protected] :
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Your curriculum vitae
In the subject of the email please state: the position you are applying for and your name