Birmingham City University
View All Vacancies
Location: Joseph Priestley Building
£24,208 to £26,312
Post Type: Full Time
Release Date: 14 September 2023
23.59 hours BST on Friday 22 September 2023
Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to work and study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success.
With thousands of students from 100 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse learning community. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate academics, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance all support our graduates’ future employability.
We’re investing £340 million in our estates, including a major expansion of our City Centre Campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities
This is an exciting time to join a dynamic and successful Finance team at Birmingham City University as one of our Finance Assistants. The role will suit a candidate looking to advance their career in Financial Accounting and Management.
The role offers an opportunity to work within a busy Financial Operations team and add value to the Cash Management Team. Based at our City Centre campus, the role is currently offering a hybrid system of working from home and office. This role will report to the team leader/team manager of the respective team. You will be providing operational and transactional support to finance team, BCU staff/students, the wider University community and more importantly – our suppliers.
The Cash Management team are being challenged as to how it can enhance and improve the service levels around customers, suppliers, staff and student payments and this role will be able to directly influence this.
You will be responsible for cash booking postings, bank recs, customers, suppliers, staff, student payments, reconciliation of balance sheet and other nominal ledgers, aging analysis, audits and supporting management with KPI reports.
You will also be responsible for the resolution and response to queries and issues presented by our commercial customers, suppliers, finance colleagues, University staff, students and key stakeholders in a timely and customer-focused manner. You will provide support for the accurate and timely delivery of Finance month-end activities including preparation of nominal account reconciliations for review.
You shoud have good analytical and technical accounting skills to understand nominal reconciliations, investigate and resolve accounting errors, duplicate payments, cash book reconciliations and postings, investments or other issues within the cash management process.
Below are the desirable qualities and requirements for the role:
- You put customer service at the core of your working life.
- You will question a failing process and look to improve it.
- You are looking to study towards AAT or equivalent vocational qualification.
- You will have a good standard of literacy and numeracy equivalent to GCSE English and Maths.
- You will have at least 12 months experience within a Finance environment.
- You will have excellent IT skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
- Should be able to work with Excel for VLOOKUP, Pivots, formulas etc for analysis on various reports and reconciliations.
- You will have knowledge and experience of financial administration procedures and systems.
- You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You must be able to demonstrate an organised approach to work and an ability to prioritise different tasks.
- Should have good analytical and technical accounting skills to understand nominal reconciliations, investigate and resolve accounting errors, duplicate payments, cash book reconciliations and postings, investments or other issues within the cash management process.
Birmingham City University has the drive and ambition to be a leading seat of teaching and research excellence. We are passionate about providing our learners with a transformational journey, enabled by an exceptional and supportive academic community.
Our staff and student community are defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. BCU’s values underpin how we work in achieving the ambitions set out in our strategy and priorities and are the principles that unite the way we work together and for our students. As the University for Birmingham, our values also reflect our relationship with the city, how we care about our community and the collaboration we use to get the best results.
Our core values are:
1. We Create Opportunity: We empower our students and enable our staff to flourish and thrive
2. We Think Differently: We are not afraid to challenge the norm, using creative thinking and teaching to get the best possible results
3. We Build Community: We are a community working to transform lives – on and beyond our campuses – as the University for Birmingham
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University (‘BCU’) is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.