Data Engineer III (remote)
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
The selected candidate will exhibit influential skills to drive improvements in data engineering processes and practices; and they will exhibit a comprehensive understanding of the business, the practices, as well as customer’s needs. Build systems that collect, manage, and convert raw data into usable information for data analysts to interpret. Make data accessible so that VA leaders can use it to understand, evaluate, and optimize Veteran experiences.
The Veterans Affairs business unit helps transform the VA into a modern digital services organization where Veteran outcomes are at the center of every effort. We partner with the VA to design and deliver seamless user experiences for Veterans, their families and caregivers, and VA employees. By applying better practices in service design, product management, and technology, we enable VA to increase the usage, quality, and reliability of services and decrease the time Veterans spend waiting for outcomes.
In this role, you will serve as an emerging individual contributor within a team, expanding your leadership, guidance and mentoring skills. With the support and guidance of leadership, you will be responsible for supporting the goal of meeting scope, schedule and delivery requirements. You will interact with stakeholders and utilize influential skills to drive improvements in data engineering processes and practices. Primary expectations of a Data Engineer III include:
- Builds data infrastructure, pipelines, systems, and tools with a little feedback and guidance from their team
- Intermediate understanding of data management and transformation of raw data into interpretable information
- Ability to create accurate and accessible datasets for Data Analysts and Scientists to interpret and use
- Own maintenance of data architectures and systems
- Practices technical and communications skills to improve context knowledge and mentor junior data engineers
- Presents on and writes about their work to both internal and external parties
- Participates in planning sessions, building an understanding of data architectures and infrastructure
- Supports recruiting efforts by evaluating homework assignments and potentially assisting with interviews
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Resource Management, Industrial Engineering, or related fields
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience
- Educational substitution: 10 years of relevant experience
- Experience with data warehousing and data conditioning for analysis, using BigQuery, Synapse or other tools
- Experience with Databricks or similar notebook environment (e.g. Jupyter)
- Intermediate level SQL
- Experience with Python, including pi spark
- Experience gaining access to siloed data sources, integrating into a single working environment
- Experience working with other technical experts on access requests and processes
- Proficient with at least one family of data ingestion systems, cloud database services, and visualization software
- Background in key data concepts including constructing databases, processing big data, improving data accuracy, etc.
- Experience working with JSON, Parquet formats
- Experience working with SAS and other flat files.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we’ve outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $101,570 – $130,000 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
job reference: 2184
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobs-near-me.eu) you saw this job posting.