2 Roles Available
Languages: Fluency in either English or French, with working capacity in the other language
Location: Preference for one of IMPACT’s countries of operation (Burundi, Burkina Faso, Canada, Côte d’Ivoire, DRC, Uganda, Mali, Zimbabwe) but open to international candidates working remotely
Term: Staff or consultancy contract available
Closing Date: November 5, 2023
The Curriculum and Learning Specialist will be responsible for creating standard learning processes, tools, and learning materials for both the organization and specific projects. Reporting to the Program Director, the Curriculum and Learning Specialist will work closely with project managers and subject-matter specialists to develop learning tools and create curriculums. They will work closely with the communications team on visual aids and publication of any tools developed. These tools will be project deliverables, support learning at the local level, as well as support organizational learning amongst project staff. Curriculum and learning tools will be developed on various topics such but not limited to due diligence concepts, mining best practices, improving gender equality, or using data analytics within international development. Stakeholders using different learnings and tools will include private sector actors, policymakers and government actors, as well as civil society and community members—sometimes with low literacy rates.
IMPACT has openings available for a Curriculum and Learning Specialist who can create content in English, as well as an opening for a Curriculum and Learning Specialist who an create content in French. To produce these tools, both specialists will need to work with colleagues in cross-cultural and multi-lingual environments (in both English and French). IMPACT encourages candidates who fit the profile to apply and is open to various working arrangements to fulfill these roles including full-time or part-time work, or consultancy contracts.
The primary responsibilities of the Curriculum and Learning Specialist are:
- Conduct a needs analysis to determine training requirements.
- Research new and innovative curriculum development practices and integrate emerging instructional methods and technologies into learning programs.
- Create and use standard development processes, tools, templates, and assessments.
- Deliver training programs, as required.
- Develop recommendations for future programs and/or revisions to existing programs to ensure the overall quality of training programs and initiatives.
- Manage service agreements with external partners, as required.
- Assess, evaluate, and propose solution plans to improve current training programs.
- Consult with stakeholders, subject matter experts and internal stakeholders to understand learning needs and define success measures.
- Design and develop storyboards, scripts, curriculum content, training materials, e-learning modules, and job aids to support various learning needs.
- Support the delivery of training programs, as required.
- Support the development and implementation of evaluation strategies to determine the effectiveness of training.
- Design and develop end to end learning solutions in alignment with identified needs and including the preparation of all learning materials such as participant and facilitator workbooks, presentations, reference guides, job aids.
- Facilitate and lead Train-the-Trainer sessions for various client programs.
- Assist with reviewing and evaluating effectiveness of learning service providers, vendors, and consultants providing insights and recommendations as appropriate.
- Participate in post implementation reviews with the objective of continually enhancing course content, reinforcing, and sustaining learned and desired behaviours.
Required Qualifications & Skills
Candidates are asked to clearly demonstrate in their applications how they meet the requirements of the position.
Essential qualifications, expertise, and skills:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in instructional design, learning and curriculum development or related field.
- Post-secondary education in Adult Education or equivalent experience in Adult Learning, Education or Instructional Design, or related field.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning principles, instructional methodologies, technology-enabled design and learning methods.
- Current and relevant knowledge of instructional design process, learning styles, and instructional techniques in an international or multi-cultural setting.
- Experience working with populations of varying literacy and educational backgrounds.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa would be considered an asset.
- Strong working knowledge and application of MS Office suite of products (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project).
- Excellent verbal and written communication in either English or French, with the ability to communicate with colleagues in the other language.
- Personable; Good communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, planning and time management, and the ability to multitask
- Good ability to work in a team, in an intercultural environment and to maintain good interpersonal relationships
- Flexibility and adaptability to change, a willingness to take on challenges, with proven ability to achieve within an unstructured environment
- Ability to act independently within defined objectives and direction
- Integrity and strong ethics
- Leadership and motivation: commitment to excellence in performance by showing enthusiasm for the job as well as personal conviction, strength of character and trust in the team
IMPACT transforms how natural resources are managed in areas where security and human rights are at risk. We investigate and develop approaches for natural resources to improve security, development, and equality. We are an independent non-profit, collaborating with local partners for lasting change.
IMPACT is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices in Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and Côte d’Ivoire, as well as projects in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Zimbabwe. Learn more at www.impacttransform.org
How to apply
Send the following information by email to [email protected] :
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Your curriculum vitae
- Completed Supplementary Information Form: https://impacttransform.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Form_Curriculum-Specialist-Oct-2023.docx
In the subject of the email please state: the position you are applying for and your name.