In February 2022, CAFOD together with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), launched an emergency appeal in response to the conflict in Ukraine. In response to the conflict in Ukraine, CAFOD developed the Ukraine Crisis Response Programme. The programme is being implemented by a number of partners across Ukraine, Romania, Poland, Moldova and Slovakia.
In Romania CAFOD partnered with Jesuit Refugee Services (JRS) Romania. Over 18 months [March 2022 – August 2023] JRS Romania deliver 2 projects funded from the DEC Ukraine Appeal, with remote support from CAFOD’s Ukraine Programme team.
The overall purpose of the evaluation is to reflect on CAFOD/JRS Romania’s DEC funded response to the Ukraine Crisis in Romania, learn lessons and ensure accountability to donors, partners and project participants. The evaluation will assess implementation and results vis-à-vis OECD/DAC criteria, CAFOD’s Integral Ecology Programme Management (IEPM) Standards and Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS). Findings from the final evaluation are intended to inform future programming for both CAFOD and JRS Romania.
The external evaluation consultant(s) should have proven experience of leading evaluations in a humanitarian relief and response contexts. Ideally the consultant will be familiar with the Romanian or Ukrainian Crisis context and have experience evaluating DEC-funded projects. The evaluator must meet the following technical qualifications:
- Hold a Master’s degree in international development, social sciences, public administration, or a related field
- Experience in the humanitarian sector
- Substantial professional management or research experience specifically in the evaluating international development programs
- A proven track record in conducting different types of evaluation and knowledge of various qualitative evaluation methods
- Strong analytical and facilitation skills
- Excellent English report writing skills
- Spoken Romanian and Russian or Ukrainian would be an advantage
- Understanding of Core Humanitarian and Sphere Standards would be an advantage
How to apply
Applications should include:
- An evaluation proposal providing an expression of interest, and outlining the chosen methodology, timeframe and summary budget in no more than 4 pages.
- A CV with two references.
- Examples of past work may be requested from shortlisted candidates.
Applications for the consultancy should be submitted by e-mail to Josie O’Reilly at [email protected] and Bianca Albu at [email protected]: specifying in the subject line: Consultant for the evaluation of CAFOD/JRS Romania’s Ukraine Crisis Response Programme.